Preventing Slips and Falls on Your Deck
- Keep your deck clean: Mold, algae, and moss as well as other organic matter can combine with moisture to turn your deck into a slip and slide. Be vigilant and clean your deck thoroughly when these potential hazards begin to form. They are as dangerous as they are unsightly.
- Use non-slip mats or strips: Add these to the high traffic, slipperiest part of your deck for peace of mind and remember to adhere them properly to the surface.
- Check the safety of your railings: Often when someone slips on a deck they can prevent a fall by grasping the railing. However, a railing that is weak will be less likely to prevent such an accident. Contact our Chatham, NJ deck builders so that they can gauge the strength of your deck railing.
- Use Non-slip coatings: These are acrylic-based and can be added to decks just like a paint or sealer. Available types include: Anti-slip decking paint, Decking non-slip varnish and anti-slip decking oils & stain.
- Replace your deck: If your deck is structurally unsound and continues to be a slip and fall hazard the best thing to do is to replace it. The safety of your friends and family may be at risk if you continue to use a deck that is weak and that presents such hazards. Our Short Hills, NJ deck builders will work with you to create the deck of your dreams that is safe, attractive and well-built.