It is far easier to enjoy oneself on a clean, well maintained deck than one that is a mess. Moreover, fall is the perfect time to inspect and refurbish your deck in anticipation of the winter months. After you’ve decided that you want to use your deck in fall, as opposed to shutting it down right away, you should prep it by inspecting it for wood damage. Make sure that the bolts and hardware are all still there and in good condition as well. At Decks by Ziec we can inspect your deck to ensure its safety and utility. Next, give it a good sweeping to remove leaves and other debris. After that, make sure that the waterproofing has held up. Use degreasing agents to remove summertime spills and stains left in the wake of your parties and gatherings. Finally, clean the deck with a gentle detergent and water.
Now that you have the preliminaries out of the way it’s time for some ideas on how to enjoy your deck despite the falling temperatures. Here are ways to make your deck just as cozy in the fall as it was in the now distant summer.
- Build a fire: By using a fire pit or chiminea you can create a toasty, refuge in order to continue the intimate outdoor gatherings.
- Add curtains: This can be a very inexpensive way of cutting down on wind gusts and curtains can be secured easily using clip-on curtain rings.
- Add outdoor lighting: Since there are fewer sunlight hours in the fall and winter than in summer, you will need adequate lighting if you want to continue using your deck in the autumn.
- Use candles: Candles not only provide heat but they also create atmosphere. Moreover, they are both decorative and practical.
- Enclose your deck: If your deck is not already enclosed considering having this done now. This will cut down significantly on wind chills.