- Add a roof or awning: Several of our decks come with roofs so that you can retreat from the direct light and heat of the sun. Awnings are also great additions to your deck and help make you more comfortable and can also protect you from UV rays. Finally, awnings and roofs can shield you and your family from the occasional summer shower.
- Add a misting fan: Misting fans are popular now for decks and patios because they work. They offer a refreshing mist of cool water at just the right time. They range from very simple devices to advanced misting systems that are more like portable air conditioning units that anything else.
- Umbrellas: Large umbrellas can not only provide shelter for you and your family, they can also protect your outdoor furniture.
- Rugs: Don’t forget your precious feet when you are outside on your deck this summer. They can burn as the deck begins to heat up making you quite uncomfortable. Try purchasing an all-weather rug that can withstand the elements and consider storing it away when it rains.
- Get solar panels: One excellent strategy for beating the summer heat is to install solar panels above your deck. This way you can cool off your deck and store the sun’s energy at the same time.
- Add a pool: Few things are more refreshing in the summer than a pool. As deck contractors in NJ, we have years of experience building decks that include this handy addition. Just view our online gallery.
- Include overhead fans: Some of our models also include overhead fans which can create a refreshing breeze all throughout your entire deck.
The dog days of summer have unofficially returned and people are beginning to emerge from their homes to spend more times on their decks. If you are lucky enough to own a deck then you know that they can be an excellent retreat from the summer heat. That is, only under certain conditions. We at Decks by Ziec have several suggestions for how you can make your outdoor deck feel like an oasis.