- Erosion around the post: A deck needs a strong foundation upon which to rest. When erosion to posts occurs, the entire deck can become destabilized. This destabilization often manifests itself in a wobbly deck.
- Shaky railings: While shaky railings themselves will not cause your deck to collapse, they still pose a significant risk to you, your family and your guests. Tightening old bolts and/or inserting new nails may help to solve the problem in the short term but if this degree of wear is shown it may well be time to consider replacing your deck.
- Widespread discoloration and stains: Again, this kind of problem does not in and of itself pose a safety hazard to your family. The danger is that they can signal more serious structural problems with your deck. Our deck builders in Far Hills, NJ can inspect your deck and tell you when replacement is preferable to repair or restoration.
- Wood rot: If you live in an area that is humid and subject to a lot of rainfall then you know what a problem rot can be. Signs of rot include discoloration, mold, mildew and areas that are softer than others. At the first sign of rot you should consider replacing the affected area or if the damage is extensive, you should consider getting a new deck. Our Colonia, NJ deck builders have years of experience restoring, building and installing decks.
- Gaps between the deck and house: A sure sign of a dangerous deck is one that has gaps between it and the house. In addition to the danger they pose your family, they can also let water seep into the surface boards, support framework, and posts, encouraging rot.
Many factors can lead to the eventual deterioration of even the best built outdoor deck. And when the passage of time, the elements and everyday wear and tear do begin to affect the structural integrity of your deck it can pose a hazard to you and your family. But how do you know when simple repairs are not enough? How can you tell when it makes more sense to start all over with newly built deck? In this blog, we list 5 signs that the damage to a backyard deck necessitates replacement over repairs or restoration.