- Scare em! No we don’t mean that you should don a Halloween costume and stand on your deck waiting for little pests to appear. Instead, try placing a statue of a hawk or other bird of prey on your deck. Or if you own a cat or dog, let it loose on your deck from time to time to discourage squirrels in particular for making it their home.
- Use sound as a weapon: Leave your radio on to scare off pests who may burrow under your home. Just be careful not to run afoul of your neighbors by turning the volume up too loudly.
- Use smells: The smell of apple cider vinegar can be effective in repelling squirrels and other critters from your deck. Try hanging rags soaked in apple cider vinegar at various points around your deck.
- Trim trees: Raccoons in particular are good climbers and will use branches as a bridge to access various points around your home including your deck. Also, because their paws are sensitive, use dried pepper flakes and scatter it around areas where they may climb. These kinds of substances hurt their paws and dissuade them from climbing structures around your home.
- Secure the areas beneath your deck: A common port of entry for your deck can be its underside. Consider adding fencing of some kind in order to block off this area from critters.
- Remove food and water sources: Never leave edibles out on your deck. Clean the area of what small animals may find tempting otherwise they may end up making your deck their version of a grocery store.
Fall is here and with it many flying insects such as bees, wasps, ants, etc are making a much anticipated exit. Although this is a great relief for deck owners, there are other pests that remain throughout the fall in particular. These menaces include squirrels, chipmunks, possums, raccoons, etc. As Colonia, NJ deck builders we have seen the structural damage that these critters can cause. They do this damage by gnawing on wood, tearing up feeders, burrowing beneath your deck etc. And although it is part of our job to repair damage that is done to your deck by insects, larger critters and the simple passage of time, we believe in the old saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Therefore, our West Windsor NJ deck builders offer you the following tips for animal proofing your deck.