- Thoroughly clean your deck: Clean dirt, leaves and other debris from your deck as the season begins to change. These items can be unsightly and dangerous to visitors. Moreover, debris of this type can ruin your deck’s finish over time.
- Have a protective finish applied to your deck: Protective finishes prevent moisture from seeping into your deck and damaging it. Fortunately, we specialize in refinishing decks that need this protection and build decks with pretreated lumber that can withstand the ravages of the environment.
- Maintain your deck regularly: Make a habit of removing snow and ice immediately after they have covered your deck. Also, use a plastic shovel rather than a metal one in order to avoid scratching your deck. However, don’t over shovel. Composite decks are not damaged by water and shoveling too aggressively can damage your deck.
- Schedule an inspection: Bolts can become loose or damaged, wood can rot, etc. As West Windsor NJ deck builders we can inspect your deck for problems than can be worsened by winter’s assault.
- Be cautious of power washers: The higher settings on power washers can actually damage your deck. Go easy when it comes to cleaning your deck and consider its finish.
- Remove decorative items: Decorative items such as planters, tables, chairs, etc. can cause staining, scratches and marks. Remove these items and put them into storage once the change in weather begins.
When preparing their homes for the winter, most people think of protecting the yard, the roof, the inside, etc. Few people give more than a moment’s thought to protecting their deck against the ice, sleet, snow and winds of the season. However, since the deck is an important part of any home, protecting it should be uppermost in the minds of homeowners. Therefore, as Colonia NJ deck builders we would like to cover a few tips on how to prepare and protect your deck against the most unforgiving season of all for your home’s exterior.