- Add a deck screen during construction: As Chatham NJ deck builders, we can build screen porches and sun rooms that will keep large flying insects from ruining your outdoor gatherings. These screens also offer a degree of privacy while still allowing you to enjoy the outdoors.
- Add pressure treated wood during construction: Pressure treated wood, while not 100% impervious to termites and other wood boring insects, can make your deck highly resistant to the damage termites and other pest can cause. Our NJ deck refinishing can also protect the lumber on your deck from rot and moisture.
- Use bug lights: These can be useful in both illuminating your deck and in deterring insects and spiders. At night, these lights are particularly helpful against one of man’s most annoying and dangerous foes - mosquitoes.
- Burn citronella: Decorate your deck with citronella candles and insect resistant plants such as chrysanthemums, chamomile, eucalyptus and nasturtiums.
- Make adjustments to the landscaping: Outdoor insects love tall grass and scrubs. Properly maintain the growth around your outdoor deck and remember to chemically treat your lawn and yard regularly.
- Make your property mosquito hostile: By this we mean drain puddles around your home as mosquitoes breed in standing water. Fill these in with soil or rocks. Finally, consider hiring a contractor to drain marshy areas on your property.
- Keep your deck clean: Starve surrounding pest by keeping your deck free of food debris such as crumbs, spilled liquids, etc.
How many times have you set up a perfect spot on your deck for either you and/or your guest to enjoy the sunny days of summer, only to have it crashed by unwanted guests. By this we mean insects. They are an inevitable part of the summer just as much as the sun and warm weather. And while nothing can make your deck completely bug-free this time of year, there are some measures you can take to protect yourself from having to battle termites, mosquitoes and bees, etc.